What is Apple Pay?
- Apple Pay is a payment method offered to users of Apple branded hardware. Mostly used on iPhones, Apple Pay is also available on iPads and Macs. Here is the list of Apple hardware compatible with Apple Pay: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208531
- This payment method is based on the wallet principle: users must register their credit card data directly in the wallet application on their iPhone, iPad or Mac.
- To date, the vast majority of issuing banks allow credit card data to be stored in the Apple wallet.
- However, all card types are not compatible. For example, some banks do not allow Apple Pay to be used with business cards.
Apple Pay payment features
- The Apple Pay payment button is only available on Apple hardware via the Safari browser.
- 3D-Secure authentication is systematic and managed by Apple via biometric verification (TouchID or FaceID).
- Apple guarantees its users the confidentiality of their banking data, so the credit card number is not provided to the merchant or to PayPlug during the payment.
- It is not a classic credit card number that is used for payment, but what is called a "Device Pan", provided by Apple to its users. This is a credit card number created by Apple to use a given card on a given device. It is unique for each credit card and each user's Apple device (e.g. one number for the iPhone, another for the iPad).
- Refunds (total or partial) are possible.
- The funds disponibility is checked instantly.
How does Apple Pay work?
- Apple Pay is available for all eligible CB, Visa and MasterCard cards.
- Once Apple Pay is activated: on your payment page your customers will be able to choose to pay via CB, Visa, MasterCard or Apple Pay. Remember: Apple Pay is only available on Apple hardware used with the Safari browser.
- After selecting Apple Pay, the Apple payment process starts: a pop-up with the payment amount is displayed. Next, your customer must validate the payment by authenticating via their Apple IDs to validate the 3D-Secure:
- Either via the TouchID
- Or via FaceID
- Or via the password of their Apple account
How to benefit from the functionality as a PayPlug merchant?
To allow your customers to pay via Apple Pay, you must contact our support on the following page.
All PayPlug offers allow you to benefit from this functionality except the Starter offer.
Compatible modules and configuration guides
You will find below the list of modules that officially support Apple Pay:
Prestashop 1.7 - PayPlug plug-in version 3.9
Configuration guide: Apple Pay on Prestashop.
Woocommerce -PayPlug plug-in version 1.9.0
Configuration guide: Apple Pay on Woocommerce.