Local payment methods are available on our Prestashop and Woocommerce Plugins.
You can offer your customers Bancontact, Satispay, Girpoay, iDeal, MyBank and Sofort.
What is Bancontact?
- Bancontact is a very popular payment scheme in Belgium, and is also widely used by cross-border commuters. The vast majority of Belgian e-commerce sites offer it.
- This payment method is an alternative to traditional networks such as CB, Visa and MasterCard.
- All Bancontact account holders can pay online with this card.
- Most Belgian banks offer this solution.
- To benefit from this payment method, you need to reside in Belgium.
Bancontact card features
- The Bancontact cardholder can only use this scheme, i.e. this card does not operate on the traditional CB, Visa or MasterCard networks.
- The card has a 17-digit number and an expiry date, but no CVV.
- 3D-Secure authentication is systematic, with a redirection to Bancontact.
- The authentication method is: either a digipass (authentication application), or a small card reader in the customer's possession.
- Refunds (total or partial) are possible.
- Chargeback are not possible.
- The availability of funds is checked instantly upon payment.
What is Sofort?
- Founded in Germany in 2005 and acquired by Klarna in 2013. It has become one of the most popular payment methods for online purchases in many European countries.
- SOFORT is mainly present in Europe, with a strong presence in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, the UK, Italy, Spain, Poland and Hungary.
- 85 million users
Features & benefits of Sofort cards
- You benefit from a higher conversion rate, because the payment process is simplified and intuitive.
- Klarna reports that merchants typically see a 68% increase in average order value, and that 44% of their customers would have abandoned their shopping carts if the payment method wasn't available.
What is Giropay?
- Launched in 2006, Giropay is an online payment system based in Germany, mainly used for online purchases and financial transactions.
- Positioned as a secure alternative to other online payment solutions.
- 55 million users by 2022, i.e. 79% of the German population.
- As Sofort, it is one of the 5 most popular payment solutions in Germany.
Features & benefits of Giropay cards
- The system is integrated with local banking platforms and enjoys a good reputation among German consumers. Not least because of its security.
- The purchasing process is very frictionless, with users only needing to provide their BIC or BLZ number to complete a transaction.
What is Satispay?
- Satispay is a mobile payment app based in Italy, launched in 2015. It enables users to carry out financial transactions simply, quickly and securely.
- Satispay focuses primarily on the Italian market, offering money transfer services between individuals (P2P) and payment with merchants.
- 1.5 million users and over 4,000 new registrations per day. (2022)
- Satispay has more than 17,000 e-commerce merchants out of a global base of 230,000 merchants (2022).
Features & benefits of Satispay cards
- Very popular in Italy.
- Numerous cashback operations of up to 30% encourage users to turn to partner stores.
Satispay forecasts a 91% conversion rate by 2022.
- Consumers are redirected to a payment page hosted by Satispay. A Satispay QR code is automatically generated and displayed for the consumer to scan.
What is MyBank?
- MyBank is a solution launched by EBA Clearing for national and cross-border electronic payments.
- It enables consumers to pay for their online purchases simply and securely using real-time bank transfers.
- MyBank is positioned as a flexible solution for B2B and B2C companies: over 250 banks and PSPs have joined the MyBank network across Europe.
- It is a particularly popular payment method in Italy, and has a potential base of 40 million consumers across Europe.
Features & benefits of MyBank cards
- Very popular with Italians, 11% of online payments are made by bank transfer.
- MyBank allows transactions of any amount as long as funds are available, with no risk of chargeback.
- Real-time data feedback for both you and the end customer.
What is iDeal?
- Created in 2005 by several major Dutch banks, iDeal has become the leading electronic payment method for online transactions in the country.
- iDEAL enables Dutch consumers to pay for their online purchases directly from their bank account, using their own bank's online payment system.
- According to 2021 data, around 75% of Dutch people use iDeal for their online purchases, representing a potential of over 13 million customers.
Features & benefits of iDeal cards
- iDEAL has a 71% market share in the Netherlands in 2022, making it easy for merchants to reach millions of Dutch consumers for their online purchases.
- According to iDEAL, consumers spend over 30 billion euros a year via their platform. Some 130,000 e-merchants accept this payment method. Dutch consumers use it to make over 50 million purchases a month.
- iDEAL is accepted by merchants in over 60 countries outside the Netherlands.
How do these payment methods work with Payplug?
- On your checkout page, the choices are distinct from classic payment by CB, Visa or MasterCard.
- After selecting the local payment method, your customer is redirected to a page hosted on their platform.
- The customer is offered two choices (depending on the payment method selected):
enter card details, or scan a QR code using their smartphone.
- Once the previous step has been completed, the customer must validate 3D Secure authentication.
We would like to draw your attention to the fact that, except for Bancontact, the other payment methods do not allow direct refunds from the Payplug portal or your website interface. If you require a refund for your customer, it will be necessary to go through our teams.
How can I benefit from these features?
- To benefit from this functionality, you must contact our support team via the following page.
- To be eligible, your company name must appear in your website's legal notices.
- Compatible plugins and configuration guides
Below is a list of plugins that officially support Bancontact :
- PrestaShop from 1.6
- Magento 2